We Are Progressive Christians
♦ Living Church at Woodlawn Pointe is a Non-Denominational Progressive Christian Church. We aim to take the Bible seriously and not literally or fundamentally. While we believe the ancient writers of the Bible were inspired to write, they were working to “figure it out” just as we are. We can learn from their experiences, just as we can learn from those of other faiths who struggled to find answers to life’s questions.
♦ We offer Bible Study every Sunday morning as well as mid-week classes throughout the year. Both deal with spiritual topics and look at what the Bible says about these issues. We are also comfortable in hearing what other religious texts might say, but as a Progressive Christian church, we admit to a bias towards the Bible.
♦ Living Church will perform wedding ceremonies, commitment ceremonies, and holy unions regardless of the gender of the couple. We are an affirming church which means that we affirm every person just as they are, in the place they are in life, instead of simply tolerating the person others think they should become. We believe every person is a child of God created in the image of the Divine. Please contact the church office for additional information regarding weddings.
♦ Communion is served every week during the main Sunday Celebration. Communion, in of itself, is a celebration that recalls the last supper of Jesus with his disciples before his death. In this celebration we partake of a small wafer of unleavened bread dipped into a cup of non-alcoholic wine. We remember the life and words of Jesus in this action, thus making him “present” with us. No one is required to partake, but all are welcome to share in this special moment.
♦ Above all, we believe that the life that Jesus lived is an example of a life that we should all strive for. More than words, our actions and how we treat others should be the fullest expression of what we believe and who we are. We are all at different stages in our life's journey. Regardless of where you may be, you will find yourself accepted and welcome at Living Church.
The culmination of what we believe can be summed up by the 8 points of
We as Progressive Christians...
1. Believe that following the path and teachings of Jesus can lead to an awareness and experience of the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life;
2. Affirm that the teachings of Jesus provide but one of many ways to experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life, and that we can draw from diverse sources of wisdom in our spiritual journey;
3. Seek community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to:
- Conventional Christians and questioning skeptics,
- Believers and agnostics,
- Women and men,
- Those of all sexual orientations and gender identities,
- Those of all classes and abilities;
4. Know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe;
5. Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;
6. Strive for peace and justice among all people;
7. Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth;
8. Commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.
* Eight Points of Progressive Christianity from The Center for Progressive Christianity
Please feel free to contact the Pastoral Staff if you have further questions about what we believe or about the church!